2011-10-14

EZs Snail Hat

Winter is approaching and bad tongues predict a very cold winter at that. Which could be true, since I'm already wearing scarves and gloves. No hat as of yet. But I'm gonna need one soon. And therein lies the problem. I do not have one.

So I've been browsing all my knitting books and there it was, the incomparable EZs Snail Hat.
Although this hat is supposed to be knittable in one evening, it took me a bit longer. Summing up, it is more like two lazy afternoons.

I do not know what sheepsdown is supposed to be, I guess it it very warm wool, so I rummaged through my humble stash and took the thickest yarn I could find which turned out to be two skeins of Lana Grossa Ragazza Lei in green and brown. Armed with a 6mm circular needle I proceeded to cast on, determined to follow EZs instructions to the letter. Which wasn't that difficult, apart from misunderstanding what she meant by 'making backward loop over R needle', which turned out to be her favourite method of M1, which she explained on page 27 already. But apart from that, it was all easy  going.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough yarn (one would hope 100g would be enough, but turns out, it wasn't). So I had to stop during the increases at 35 stitches and sew the rest up. Because of this, there is no snail like cone at the top, which is rather sad, but it still looks good and more importantly, it also fits!

So there we go, one finished hat, and a note to myself: Better get 150g for a hat, 100g is not enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment