2011-10-10

The financial side of knitting

Way back, when my Granny was my age, she used to knit almost all of her sweaters herself. And sewed the rest of her clothes and those of her family. Why? Because buying ready-made clothes in shops was far too expensive. Making them oneself saved a lot of money.

And today? Let's just do a quick calculation, shall we? Cascade 220 Heathers is a popular yarn for sweaters. In an online shop I recently saw this yarn sold at about 6,95€/100g, which is a really good prize. For a sweater in my size, I would need roughly about 600g. Meaning, I would have to buy 6 skeins, summing up to a total of 41,70€.
And what would a ready-made sweater cost? Made from similar material, somewhat stylish... I'd say... about 39,95€. +/- 10,00€.

Nothing really saved. Knitting is a luxury nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment